How to Post a Comment

I have gotten many questions about how to post comments to my blog (don't worry, you are not alone!), and so hopefully these instructions will help: 1) At the bottom of the post on which you would like to comment, click "Comment". 2) In the new window, type your comment in the box provided on the right-hand side. 3) Scroll down to "Choose an identity". It is not necessary to create a Google account, so if it takes you to this option, say no! 3) Choose either "Other" or "Anonymous". If you choose "Other", put in your name in the space that appears. If you choose "Anonymous", please sign your name within your comment. Otherwise, I will have no way of knowing it is from you! 4) Click "Publish Your Comment"! Hopefully this will eliminate the major obstacle to interacting with me while I am Europe. I can't wait to hear from all of you!

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Week 3 of the Semester

So I survived that crazy 'shopping period' for classes, and managed [unofficially] to get into four of them, besides the two German as a Foreign Language classes. So far, the class on Toni Morrison is very interesting, and surprisingly enough turns out to be mostly in German, besides for the books and I assume the paper at the end. I already understand more of what is going on than I did three weeks ago when I first stepped into the class, which is a good thing (it is sooo much easier to zone out when you cannot understand what is going on). I have a history course on the Middle East, taught by apparently a well-known scholar from Jerusalem. Since this is the first non-American, non-European history class I have ever taken, everything is new to me. The very first day he made the Americans rather uncomfortable with some of his comments about Iraq, but all-in-all he is engaging (and I have long since developed a tough skin; as an American I have not always been well-received during my travels). My other two literature courses are The Gothic Novel and a course on Henry James, which are taught by incredibly different professors. The first is a very scientific, 'let us dissect the meaning of "Gothic"' type person, whereas the second is more of a 'what is the meaning of life' type guy. Both are brilliant in their own way, but whoever came up with the idea of researching for a literature paper and using x-number of secondary sources should be forced to read only instruction manuals for the rest of their lives. I think that is the part about my AU education that I miss most. So AU professors, I should just say that I now fully appreciate your insanely fun and insightful way of going about teaching. Heaven forbid you make me come up with my own ideas and interpretations for what I read, rather than just regurgitating what someone else has already come up with! But, thankfully, I can handle this totally uninteresting way of writing a paper (aka I can BS with the best of them), I just make no promises that I will enjoy it very much.

In any case, the addition of some homework, even though it's a rather small amount, is putting a cramp in my future travel plans. I still have so many places I want to see in Germany and other places in Europe, but I think soon I will have to come to terms with the fact that I eventually will have to write those three papers and prepare for two tests and one presentation (in German, of course). May not sound like a lot, but considering my entire grade is based upon one assignment per class, I have no room for putting it off.

By the way, who can imagine that I have already been in Europe for over 11 weeks?


Anyone?


Yeah, me neither...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Angie!! You must update so we can hear about your life/schooling in Germany! I want to know what is going on!