How to Post a Comment

I have gotten many questions about how to post comments to my blog (don't worry, you are not alone!), and so hopefully these instructions will help: 1) At the bottom of the post on which you would like to comment, click "Comment". 2) In the new window, type your comment in the box provided on the right-hand side. 3) Scroll down to "Choose an identity". It is not necessary to create a Google account, so if it takes you to this option, say no! 3) Choose either "Other" or "Anonymous". If you choose "Other", put in your name in the space that appears. If you choose "Anonymous", please sign your name within your comment. Otherwise, I will have no way of knowing it is from you! 4) Click "Publish Your Comment"! Hopefully this will eliminate the major obstacle to interacting with me while I am Europe. I can't wait to hear from all of you!

Sunday, May 20, 2007

Bruges...and an early return

From start to finish, my trip to Bruges was not anywhere close to what I had planned or envisioned. On the train Thursday, I eagerly awaited the border crossing into Belgium. Even though countries border each other, I have come to find that that does not necessarily mean they will look anything similar to each other, and so each new country brings with it a certain level of anticipation and excitement for the first glimpse of the countryside from the train. Belgium, I am sorry to say, was rather a disappointment, not so much in its countryside, which reminded me somewhat of rural America with flat, rolling fields and lots of cows, but in its surprisingly dirty and poorly kept train stations. Even in Brussels, which is a huge travel hub and crossroads for those traversing Paris and London and on into Germany, was not as bright and newish as I have come to expect of big European cities. The city itself, too, had a unexplainable uninviting feel to it. But alas, not every city and not every country can be expected to suit my tastes or expectations! There will inevitably be a dud or two along the way...

When I got to Bruges, the train station there was also dirty, kind of old, and under heavy construction...either that or heavy disrepair, held together by what looked like construction...
But the city, I am happy to say, was charming with its super friendly people and cute canals, which made for fantastic views at almost any given corner. The food was great, and the language barrier, or lack thereof, made it rather enjoyable to wander around and strike up conversations with random people. The city had a good mix of traditional museums and unique sights, and plenty to keep me occupied while I was there. So why, given all that, did I end up deciding the first morning I was there that I could not stay until Sunday? Why did I instead leave on Saturday morning?

Two main reasons: 1.) the city of Bruges was hopelessly overrun with tourists. Not those fun and friendly brand of tourists either, but the tour group variety, who are either super rich and there to snobbishly spend their money on souvenirs that will give them bragging rights back home, or are obnoxiously ignorant of culture differences and are loudly conspicuous about it. This latter type of tourist are the ones who try to bring their culture and their 'enlightenment,' whatever they think that might be, to the given country they are visiting, the type that get loud with a waiter when they say the water is not free or with a sales clerk when they do not have what the tourist is looking for (generally some stereotypical item that they thought would be for sale at every street corner, and are thus shocked and annoyed when they cannot find it). I ran into more of these kinds of tourists in the city of Bruges than I have for the rest of my trip put together. I am well aware that I am also a tourist, but I also pride myself in being one of those respectful tourists who quietly looks at maps or asks for directions, who is just as interested in the cultural differences as in the major sights, and does not make a big fuss if I get water that is carbonated or pop that is warm. I blend in, and I see and experience more of the given culture than any tour group, led by a guide with a purple umbrella or the number 28 on a long stick, can ever hope to achieve. That is one of the great benefits of traveling as a student, and of traveling on a tight budget. I don't get caught up in the souvenirs or the fancy dinners. I travel as a temporary local, getting food from the popular take-out restaurant or the corner grocery store. I sit and enjoy the beautiful views rather than just taking pictures of them. And I don't bring the American philosophy of "I will slow down when I die" with me either.

Reason #2: My hostel was really rather crappy, and I did not want to stay a third night, especially when I already saw everything I wanted to see in one day instead of two. I love having Erfurt to go back to; with a home base, I can decide I don't like a place, and I can just leave early and go back home. When I was backpacking for a month, when I didn't like a city, I had to move on to the next destination, or stick out the crappy place until I was expected at the next destination. I didn't care for Siena, but I still had to stick around until my night train to Paris. So this time, instead of coming to hate Bruges through my worse-than-expected accommodation, I left while I still liked the place.

So I have one week off from traveling, during which the AU in Germany program will be visiting Erfurt (can't wait!) and I will be going to the zoo with my 'Paten' (translated literally it means godmother, so she is somewhat of a host mother...though I don't live with her), and then I will be off to Amsterdam with Mia from Illinois. The week after is Switzerland, and then my European travels will become secondary to end-of-the-semester papers and projects. Wow, that is a little difficult to believe!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Im so glad you updated!! i was beginning to think you had been sucked up in your studies and would never return. :0) (miss you!)

I must agree about the evil tourists. They sound like the kind of thing that could ruin any good trip/day. I guess money doesnt buy you travel sense... ;0)