How to Post a Comment

I have gotten many questions about how to post comments to my blog (don't worry, you are not alone!), and so hopefully these instructions will help: 1) At the bottom of the post on which you would like to comment, click "Comment". 2) In the new window, type your comment in the box provided on the right-hand side. 3) Scroll down to "Choose an identity". It is not necessary to create a Google account, so if it takes you to this option, say no! 3) Choose either "Other" or "Anonymous". If you choose "Other", put in your name in the space that appears. If you choose "Anonymous", please sign your name within your comment. Otherwise, I will have no way of knowing it is from you! 4) Click "Publish Your Comment"! Hopefully this will eliminate the major obstacle to interacting with me while I am Europe. I can't wait to hear from all of you!

Sunday, June 17, 2007

Happy Father's Day

This weekend, I have kept myself more than busy trying to get ready for the end-of-semester crunch, working on papers and presentations and reading more than I ever wanted to on nationalism in the Middle East. But I just wanted to take a break from all that school stuff to pay tribute to the fathers in our lives on Father's Day.

First of all, let me just note that in Europe, Mother's Day is a far bigger deal than Father's Day. Shops and restaurants run specials for the mothers, but the fathers do not even get so much as a card on the rack in the post office. Father's Day in Germany was the 17th of May, and really is only an excuse to visit the "Kneipe" (bar). So as a result, I felt the need to acknowledge those great fathers in our lives, since here in the "Fatherland" they seem to have missed the point. Anyone else notice the irony?

In any case, I happen to know a handful of great fathers, not to mention my own dad. You know you are loved and missed when your dad follows your traveling progress on a map of Europe he bought just for the occasion, and who can be counted on for a daily phone call just to chat. And as the date of my return back to the United States looms ever closer, I would be willing to wager money that he is preparing a list of my favorite foods, all of which will be waiting for me as soon as I step in the kitchen door, prepared with all the love that such a great man can bestow. Dad, your thoughtfulness certainly makes me miss you even more. You deserve every minute of honor that comes on Father's Day, and then some.

So here's to you, fathers of the world, who have given love and support to the next generation, serving as role models and paving the way for a whole new round of wonderful fathers and mothers. It is for you that the tradition of Father's Day keeps going.

No comments: