How to Post a Comment

I have gotten many questions about how to post comments to my blog (don't worry, you are not alone!), and so hopefully these instructions will help: 1) At the bottom of the post on which you would like to comment, click "Comment". 2) In the new window, type your comment in the box provided on the right-hand side. 3) Scroll down to "Choose an identity". It is not necessary to create a Google account, so if it takes you to this option, say no! 3) Choose either "Other" or "Anonymous". If you choose "Other", put in your name in the space that appears. If you choose "Anonymous", please sign your name within your comment. Otherwise, I will have no way of knowing it is from you! 4) Click "Publish Your Comment"! Hopefully this will eliminate the major obstacle to interacting with me while I am Europe. I can't wait to hear from all of you!

Thursday, March 1, 2007

London

By 7 o'clock this morning, I was waiting to check in at the Carcassonne airport, and after much waiting and turbulence, I touched down in Great Britain a little after 11. Going through customs and passport control was so much easier this time around, perhaps because I knew better what to expect and how to answer the seemingly random questions, or perhaps it was because I was so excited to be back in an English-speaking country. As much as I enjoy French friendliness and Italian culture, there is just something special about coming back to a place where you can understand the announcements on the subway, you can read all of the signs, and you can ask almost anyone for directions without having to make embarassingly universal gestures. I was getting to a point in France where I was hesitant to ask for help, because there is no way to tell by looking at someone whether they will be able to understand you, or whether a few words in French will get them started on a tyrade of gestures and words I cannot comprehend (much to my dismay on several occasions). So in that respect, I feel a sense of relief and even a lower level of stress, just in the knowledge that I can connect so much easier with others.

Of course, I had my first shocking realization that I am not actually back in the U.S. when I got on my bus from the airport, and I boarded it from the opposite side. And as we headed off, and cars sped past on the right, it felt so counter-intuitive, it was jarring. I was surrounded by things seemingly familiar, but yet at the same time, rather different. It is great to be in London, but it was the smaller things that reminded me that I am not yet home.

The only sightseeing I fit in today was a visit to the British Library, and an evensong service at St. Paul's. As a person absolutely in love with books, how could I not love the British Library. For several minutes, I had the opportunity to just stare at the Magna Carta, Jane Austen's writing desk, one of the first editions of the complete works of Shakespeare, and drawings by Leonardo da Vinci. I saw Handel's Messiah and a copy of the Gutenberg Bible!! It was incredible to be in the presence of some of the greatest literary history ever collected into one place. Surrounded by scholars of much more extensive education than me, for the first time I felt my youth and my inexperience. In a room with just accomplishments, I realized how much further I have yet to go.

From the Library I did a quick rush over to St. Paul's in order to catch the service, and found it to be deeply satisfying. The cathedral is a true artistic accomplishment; the mosaics on the ceiling above the altar captured the very essence behind the medieval gold background. As I looked up at Christ and the Apostles in the soft evening light, I really felt as though I was gazing on heaven, and that those distinguished figures were looking down upon us all with love and wisdom. Put together with the wonderful choral music, and you have a topnotch spiritual experience. To escape the teeming streets of London to such a quiet and peaceful place was a welcome break.

Tomorrow is my London marathon, with a visit to the Tower of London, the Westminster area, the Churchill Museum, and the National Gallery. A post tomorrow will essentially indicate that I have survived it, with energy to spare.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Angie, how I wish I were there with you. Reading your posts is a delight.

Your mother and I went out for dinner yesterday and she caught me up on your news, as well as Alan's and Sarah & Rita's. I'm going to be crossing paths with the twins in Fort Myers in March--I think they're leaving just as I'm arriving for a few days.

I'm probably heading to Chicago for a few days in April. Sorry you won't be here to join me for a road trip this time; yours, I'm sure, will be better.

Enjoy yourself, and keep posting. I'll keep reading.