How to Post a Comment

I have gotten many questions about how to post comments to my blog (don't worry, you are not alone!), and so hopefully these instructions will help: 1) At the bottom of the post on which you would like to comment, click "Comment". 2) In the new window, type your comment in the box provided on the right-hand side. 3) Scroll down to "Choose an identity". It is not necessary to create a Google account, so if it takes you to this option, say no! 3) Choose either "Other" or "Anonymous". If you choose "Other", put in your name in the space that appears. If you choose "Anonymous", please sign your name within your comment. Otherwise, I will have no way of knowing it is from you! 4) Click "Publish Your Comment"! Hopefully this will eliminate the major obstacle to interacting with me while I am Europe. I can't wait to hear from all of you!

Thursday, March 29, 2007

Three Weeks In!

Seven weeks ago today, I left behind my safety net--my parents, my country, my familiarity with the most seemingly trivial elements of day-to-day life. I tucked the net tidily into my closet, and took only one glance over my shoulder as I departed for the single greatest adventure of my short life. I boarded a plane, endured the turbulence that reminded me of why I wasn't sure I liked flying, and waved goodbye to the continent as it disappeared into the setting sun. For four weeks, I rambled about this new continent, taking in a small portion of the greatest sites the history of mankind has to offer. I marveled at the tribute across the millenia at the temples of Paestum, looked into the eyes of understanding in terrific art throughout Florence, Paris, and Rome. I explored one of the darkest and most glorious moments of human history in Normandy, and was reminded of the undying human genius at Stonehenge. I struggled with language barriers and cultural norms. I lost my way and my sense of direction at the most frustrating moments, and I evaded dubious locals and questionable situations. After those four weeks, I came out so very much the opposite of green (whatever that would be) when it comes to travel, I probably would not have recognized myself four weeks ago. I have changed so much, and yet remained exactly the same--a phenomenon I never considered, and certainly never considered possible.

After so much excitement and constant motion, I settled here in Erfurt, exactly three weeks ago. That first weekend, I had to cope with the greatest contradictory sensations of loneliness and relief, of excitement and anxiety. I met one flatmate, a German who was the epitome of friendliness and good tidings, but who also warned me not to expect such welcome from the rest of Germany--in her words, "Germans are mean!" Perhaps this is true, but more likely it is just one opinion of many, and I will have to determine for myself what my own opinion will be.

Language classes end tomorrow, and while I am not fluent or even self-sufficient, I have learned a great deal in this short time. Of course, the hardest part is still all elements of conversation, but I have at least made progress. I will be very curious to see where I stand at the end of July!

On Saturday, I will again leave behind this settled life, and put aside the progress I have made on my new comfort zone, and with two other girls I will head out to Prague for a week. Already, the difference between solo travel and group travel is both painfully and pleasantly noticeable. Painful, because my autonomy is gone, and compromises have already been made (I am not the greatest at compromise); pleasant, because I get to look forward to sharing my experiences with others, a part of my first month that was depressingly lacking at times. It is one thing to enjoy some great view or museum, but it is entirely another to enjoy it with someone else and to derive additional joy from the joy of another.

I look forward to this new chapter of my experiences here, and even more so to the new places I will see, the people I will meet, and the rocks I will overturn.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Angie - I hope you have a great trip to Prague! Sorry I have been so busy - have a great time before you have to start up ur classes :) Take care! Miss you!