How to Post a Comment

I have gotten many questions about how to post comments to my blog (don't worry, you are not alone!), and so hopefully these instructions will help: 1) At the bottom of the post on which you would like to comment, click "Comment". 2) In the new window, type your comment in the box provided on the right-hand side. 3) Scroll down to "Choose an identity". It is not necessary to create a Google account, so if it takes you to this option, say no! 3) Choose either "Other" or "Anonymous". If you choose "Other", put in your name in the space that appears. If you choose "Anonymous", please sign your name within your comment. Otherwise, I will have no way of knowing it is from you! 4) Click "Publish Your Comment"! Hopefully this will eliminate the major obstacle to interacting with me while I am Europe. I can't wait to hear from all of you!

Friday, March 2, 2007

Ok, armed with more internet time...

So yeah, the War Cabinet Rooms were pretty cool, to see them in their original state, to feel the immense history and tough decisions that were played out in this underground safehaven for the British war effort. It was amazing.

Even better, the Cabinet Rooms also included a small museum dedicated to THE man of Great Britain: Winston Churchill. It followed his entire life, but focused mostly on the World War II era and the incredible force he was for the Allies. I listened to his speeches, read his letters to his wife, saw the pro- and anti-Churchill propaganda from both sides, looked at his trademark clothing, and viewed footage from his splendid funeral. That museum captured not only the greatness of this fabulous Prime Minister, but also the man behind the greatness. I saw his paintings (which were surprisingly good) and teared up at his childhood letters to his parents, begging them to come visit him. It is easy to fall in love with the legend, but this exhibit made it possible to cherish his struggles and sacrifices, his wisdom and his courage. I spent four hours total in both museums (until they kicked me out at closing time), and I think about 3 of the 4 were spent with Winston. Yet it was not enough time. Fans of Churchill are usually diehard fans, and now it is very easy for me to see why. Consider me one as well.

When I left there, it was dark and raining (surprise surprise, except that it had been beautiful and sunny ALL day!!), and so pretty much any continued sightseeing was not really an option. I made my way back to the hostel, and had a very expensive British burger in the cafe (they use cucumbers instead of their very close relatives the pickle!), which brings you up-to-date on my day. Tomorrow, I am off to the British Library, Westminster Abbey, and hopefully other adventures, as time allows..

No comments: