How to Post a Comment

I have gotten many questions about how to post comments to my blog (don't worry, you are not alone!), and so hopefully these instructions will help: 1) At the bottom of the post on which you would like to comment, click "Comment". 2) In the new window, type your comment in the box provided on the right-hand side. 3) Scroll down to "Choose an identity". It is not necessary to create a Google account, so if it takes you to this option, say no! 3) Choose either "Other" or "Anonymous". If you choose "Other", put in your name in the space that appears. If you choose "Anonymous", please sign your name within your comment. Otherwise, I will have no way of knowing it is from you! 4) Click "Publish Your Comment"! Hopefully this will eliminate the major obstacle to interacting with me while I am Europe. I can't wait to hear from all of you!

Thursday, February 15, 2007

It's Rome, What Can I Say?

Rome has totally kicked my butt. Sam and I are absolutely exhausted--surprise, surprise--from yet another day of adventures.

So we are staying in this kind of odd hostel where the people are friendly and two meals are free, but completely different than the two previous. Last night we met three Americans, who of all coincidences, were headed to Florence today and Venice after that, and they are staying the same hostel as we did in Florence. I was a lot of help in getting them ready for the adventures that await them in both places.

When we got into Rome yesterday, we tried to head off the see the Colosseum, but got only as far as the outside, since it was closed...really really early too! So of course the Roman Forum was closed as well, but we took a walk up the Palatine Hill, which was neat. We came back early, frustrated and tired from crazy traffic, closed sights, and unfulfilled plans.

So this morning, we got up to go to the Vatican Museum and St. Peter's. First we had to figure out the Metro, which isn't bad if you know how ANY subway system works...except for the slight snag of being in a different language..and then we headed off in a slight drizzle. By the time we got there, the line was horrendously long, and it was pouring. One hour and about 3 pounds of water in my clothes and hair later, we were in. It was an interesting visit...we were wet, the art was amazing, and we were wet...but we had an adventure.

We came back, changed into dry clothes, and better prepared for inclimate weather (which turned out to be bright, warm, beautiful sunshine--go figure) and went inside the Colosseum. No words can describe how incredibly worth it that visit was. I have some great pictures to prove it (once I can upload them, I will be as good as my word). Then we went back to St. Peter's, an absolutely breath-taking visit. I had no idea being there would affect me so much. I was at the heart of Catholicism, and I felt so incredibly at peace. And I can admit it, when I did the ceremonious touch of St. Peter's feet, I burst into tears. After a stressful and wet day, I felt better and everything felt worth it. If I come back to Rome someday, the Vatican is number one on my lists of stops.

Tomorrow, off to Pompeii and Paestum for some incredible Greco-Roman ruins...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Angie - now you are really making me think that we need to go visit the Vatican together - I am so happy that you had such a peaceful experience! Enjoy the last day with Sam! Can't wait to hear about the rest of the journey :)