How to Post a Comment

I have gotten many questions about how to post comments to my blog (don't worry, you are not alone!), and so hopefully these instructions will help: 1) At the bottom of the post on which you would like to comment, click "Comment". 2) In the new window, type your comment in the box provided on the right-hand side. 3) Scroll down to "Choose an identity". It is not necessary to create a Google account, so if it takes you to this option, say no! 3) Choose either "Other" or "Anonymous". If you choose "Other", put in your name in the space that appears. If you choose "Anonymous", please sign your name within your comment. Otherwise, I will have no way of knowing it is from you! 4) Click "Publish Your Comment"! Hopefully this will eliminate the major obstacle to interacting with me while I am Europe. I can't wait to hear from all of you!

Thursday, February 22, 2007

Orsay, Rolls Royce, and Arc de Triomphe

This morning I made my way to the Orsay Museum, which has a terrific collection of Impressionist paintings. Since my experience of this genre is limited, I was not sure how much I would like it. So imagine my delight when I found the art to be not only delightful, but awesome in its energy and its peace. Some of it was pushing the button of not being my cup of tea, but overall I enjoyed the art on the first floor the most. But I would have to say that my enjoyment was a little bit lessened when I figured out that the art on the first floor was actually only Pre-Impressionism, and the later, less enjoyable stuff was the real deal. Oops. Well, at least now I know my limitations as an art connosieur. Impression=not for me.

After the museum, I decided to wander my way--somehow--to the Arc de Triomphe. I knew its general direction, and I had a bus map. I figured that would be enough...and thankfully for my mom's blood pressure (no doubt, when she reads this), it was. I ended up waiting for the bus in front of the Hotel de Chillon, which is a very upscale hotel, complete with fancy-dressed bellhops, lines of taxis waiting to serve the rich and famous, and rows of Beemer after Mercedes after Porsche. In fact, there was one guest who arrived in a vintage, mint condition Rolls Royce, navy blue, and beautiful to even my eyes. It was wildly amusing as tourists paused to stare and get pictures of it/with it; and even the savvy Parisians were impressed. As far as I was concerned, I enjoyed watching the people gawk, and I patted myself on the back for simply knowing it was a Rolls Royce without being told. A highlight of my day.

Lastly, I went to the Arc de Triomphe, which was fascinating for its size as well as being another symbol of the Parisian boastfulness. Together with the Louvre, the Eiffel Tower, and Sainte-Chapelle, Paris is a walking posterboard for the expensive and the elaborate. I suppose these are all some of the reasons why we all love this city so much. I look forward to a return visit in the future.

Speaking of the expensive and elaborate, tomorrow I am taking a day trip to see Versailles and Chartres Cathedral. I mean, come on! I did not even know this was going to be a theme until five minutes ago! Is anyone else as fascinated with this obsession as I am?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahhh I love France ! I hope you are enjoying it too :) When I went to the top of the Arc de Triomphe I loved looking over the Champs-Elysees at all of the IDIOT drivers - gotta love European driving :)

Guess what??? You made the no left turns blog - check it out:
A Young Student in Europe
Having known no travel in her youth, Angie Cook, a Sophmore Ashbrook, is making up for it by roaming around Europe (although she will eventually, I hope, settle in Erfurt, Germany, for the semester) and she is blogging. She delivers unvarnished tales, full of charm and insight. And those of us who have been there and done that with similar dispositions and pleasures will remember our old selves and our glimpse of newness. Have a look and wish her well. Bon voyage, Angie!

Congrats!!

Also Sikkenga is back next fall!!! He is teaching his famous Politics and the Bible course - we are all still wondering if we want to risk everyone's lives to take it hahah

Anywho talk to you later!

Anonymous said...

I am soooo completely jealous of your trip, and a little in awe. I can't believe you are doing this whole Europe thing completely on a whim. That's got to feel amazing! The only thing I can think of to make you experience even a teensy-tiny-little-bit of the jealousy I have of you is to tell you that Em W. and I are going up to Cleveland for a Barak Obama rally. But hey, political rallies will come and go, but obsenely large arches surrounded by deadly Parisian traffic, that's forever.

Miss you, have fun, take pictures!

Anonymous said...

from Mom....
Marsha called and said how much she is enjoying reading your adventures. I liked the comment about my blood pressure....I only have 13 more days of intense worry and then I can relax a little bit. I know you are okay. I know you are smart. I know you can manage. BUT I AM STILL YOUR MOTHER...and worry is my middle name when it comes to my children. I am also having a wonderful experience reading your blog and thinking about you and what you are doing and seeing. I was in Europe 30 years ago and I sort of remember it.

Love you.

Anonymous said...

Came here via Peter's weekly blog remark.. I've been living and teaching in Central Eastern Europe since 99, so know the area well. So I hope that while here experienceing Europe.. do go East.. Poland, the Balts (esp Tallin, Estonia), Czech, and Hungry).

Germany and the Germans get tiring (but I must admit that Berlin is one of my most favorite European capitals, Vienna being tied to it), go East to see the real Europeans.. those that have some spark and will not be so knee jerking in their hostile attitudes about America.

Anonymous said...

I have sure enjoyed your postings. Don’t waste your time reading this now-write more and read this later. I love Paris and the d’Ordsay is by far my favorite. I have visited twice in the last few years and would love to return. Monet has always been one of my favorites so we also went to Giverny in ’99. I am anxious to read your thoughts on Versailes. It was a little too much gold for me and the viewing gallery for the birth of the royals made a lasting impression. I hope you ate cake while there too.

PS-I try to reassure your Mom. It really is a smaller world today than our first trip 30 years ago and must easier to keep in contact with folk back home. Your Grandma was concerned for us then too. We are mid-west country folk and get so much more from these adventures with city life experience new to us as well.